Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Weekend Online Al-Anon Guidelines

Al-Anon is for those of us who have been affected by someone else's drinking. We are compassionate and understanding. We provide strength, hope, and courage. The on-line version is not a substitute for a real face-to-face meeting. There is power in the rooms, a power of goodness and serenity, that has - incredibily - changed me. Please visit a meeting near you - click here to find an Al-Anon Meeting near you.

How our Weekend Online Al-Anon Meeting works (aka guidelines);

1. On weekends we hold an on-line meeting.

2. Someone suggests a topic on Thursday. First one who suggests the topic will be chosen. If no one selects or suggests a topic, I have to (I get boring after a while - if not sooner)

3. The Meeting starts at Friday approximately - 6PM Eastern. The meeting runs through Sunday evening.

4. You don't have to be expert. Just comment. There are no wrong or right answers. We are not perfect, so you should not worry or fear your imperfection. In fact, embrace it!

5. Anyone can join. Just comment. Cross-talk is allowed (talking to each other; commenting about what others said, etc) . In fact it is encouraged!

6. Of course, not evaluating each other negatively. Share the love and faith. Provide ENcouragement (give courage to others).

7. You can discuss your feelings on the topic set for that weekend or you can talk about something else if you have it on your mind. And of course discuss a burning desire.

8. Unlike Al-Anon meetings - You can eat will talking.

9. Unlike Al-Anon meetings - You can comment MULTIPLE times

10. We try to use only Al-Anon Conference approved material. I have read almost every self-help book available (really, you would not believe how many). Al-Anon works for those who are relatives or friends of alcoholics - who have been affected by someone else's drinking.

11. A translator link; If you are from another country, on the right hand side, further toward the bottom, (the right side-bar), there is a Google Translater link that translates this blog into the language of your country or region. If really works.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My hasband has been sober for almost two years now and there is still much progress to be made on a personal level.
Now that I have time to rediscover myself its hard with all past insecurities and still the scarcasm that persists in our marriage.
I need to propose a talk on self esteem & self reliasation at out next Alanon meeting- please help with any suggestion.
Ruth-proudly Alanon- SA

Anonymous said...

Hi I would like to join online meeting!

Anonymous said...

Come join us by clicking the Title of the Blog and it will take you to today's post

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to find this blog, my husband is 62 and has been an active alcoholic since he was in high school. 2 weeks ago he found out he has a bleeding ulcer, he has been throwing up blood. He still refuses to stop drinking and I feel like I have reached the end of my rope. I have been going to Alanon for the past 4 years and I don't know where I would be today without that support and the support of my family and my husband's family. I recently discovered that he is spending $100a month on liquor. I rarely have a glass of wine and never at home. He has an hourly job in a retail store even though he has a master's degree. I'm not sure how much longer they will keep him. The fact that he has a job does not mean that he contributes to our household income. He has a seperate bank account and does not pay any household bills, I pay for everything and he does not have access to that account. When he did I was constantly overdrawn so I opened a new account without him. Now I can manage my money and we are keeping our head above water. He tells me that even though he has the bleeding ulcer he is not going to stop drinking and will just die. I told him it will be a long slow painful death. He says that is OK. Just blathering this out helps, thanks for being there.