Thursday, December 6, 2007

Distrust

Yesterday, I flew back into the airport and went directly to an Al-Anon meeting. It was a good meeting. It's filled with men and women. And some children. We are all children, aren't we?

And: We all struggle. We are all human. We are all frail.

About Al-Anon and the people there: You will find some of the nicest people in the world here. I think I know why. We have removed the veneer off ourselves, to be ourselves. We have removed the facade. We are all people who have emotions and problems we deal with.

This is so much better than going to the neighbor's house for drinks. Everyone puts on the airs. Everyone tries to be what they want reflected outward.

In the meeting, this little poem was handed out. And we spoke about distrust and how trust had to be won back over time.

Here is the poem.

'Twas the night before tomorrow,

.........And all through the house,

I locked up my money,

.........And so did my spouse.

We hate to do it,

.........But now, it's a must,

Until our dear child,

.........Can earn back our trust.

..........................................................- An Ode to Families Anonymous

I think or used to think I was pretty smart. I based my whole life and business career on trust. In the past, if someone broke a promise, I would cut them out of my business life.

Today, I am not so sure I would. I might try to be more understanding and find out why they did not do what they said they would do.

No comments: