A God of My Understanding. Before I came to Al-Anon, I did not really have a good grasp of God. Better be careful, you may still not have a grasp of God, dear Joseph. When I first came to Al-Anon, I probably was in too much pain to realize how many times God and He is referred to in this program - in the 12 Steps. Had I recognized this, I probably would not have kept coming back.
It wasn't until I needed help - when no one else could help me - that I turned my will over to the God of my understanding. I needed help and He was there. If you asked me if I would be writing this ever - and I mean ever - I would tell you - you were/are nuts.
Tonight at the Men's Meeting we discussed how we can place God into our daily workings - you know - the small stuff - the things at work - a meeting, a phone call, an employee, etc. The small things - a child who is cranky, a dog that won't heel, the guy who cuts you off in traffic, etc.
Not just with the alcoholic. Because our disease, has infiltrated all other parts of our lives and has in some ways, made us unreasonable or cranky or not patient or not serene.
I noticed a couple of key points tonight I would like to share while they are still on my mind;
- God is always there. You have to listen.
- Be patient. God is telling us this all the time.
- Be patient some more
- When we force solutions because God has not answered our prayers, we are usually screwing something up (because we were not patient).
- God has three answers when you pray or ask for something; 1.) Yes 2.) Not yet and 3.) I have something better in store for you.
- A God of my understanding. So many of us have been hurt, that at the time we could not fathom a God allowing this to happen - But over time we realize that a God of MY understanding - not someone else's or any organized religion saying IT IS THIS WAY - PERIOD.
- I saw on a bumper sticker at a meeting place that has AA and Al-Anon attendees; "God is too big for just one religion." I really like that one.
- God has a plan. This gives me comfort.
- When I am not present - I am in my head and my ego is mastering me. I must stay present. I believe this is where God is.
- Someone said tonight, they really didn't get the full meaning of Step 1 until he went through and worked Steps 2 and 3.
I hope this helps tonight and Wednesday. I hope you are all very well.