Thursday, May 1, 2008

Nothing To Do With Recovery

I am in a very large southern town. We are presenting to a prospective client. It is two full days of standing in front of a room with 30 people who are evaluating us. It is Power Points and questions.

I am wearing my standard dark navy blue suit, of which I have about 12, all with minor variations. One suit has a pinstripe that is a thin chalk color line. Another has the same chalk line, but the stripes are a little further spaced apart. Another has a chalk line pin strip and a blue line running through it.

It probably looks like I am wearing the same suit every time, but I swear, they are different.

All my dress shirts are white. I really mix it up when I wear a tabbed collar versus a spread collar. And sometimes I wear a grey suit. But some how it is not the same.

I have no clue why I tell you all this, so please don't ask.

I just want to say this. I am a ham. Get me in front of a group of people, I will present anything to anybody at anytime. I like to be on the stage. It give me a rush. I think it is the nervous energy. Plus, if I do the job well, I get attention. Good attention (maybe this is about my recovery). I wasn't this way at first. It has taken years to become an idiot.

We are knocking them dead. They love us. I tell my team, who are pretty "technical" in the sense that they are not people-people, that laughter is good. If the audience laughs, this is a form of liking and accepting.

I asked the crowd yesterday how we did. My colleagues didn't want to know. In fact, they wanted me to NOT ask that question. So, when the crowd said, almost at the same time, "Two thumbs up!!" And another man said, "Four thumbs up if I had more hands."

I like to have "check points" in any presentation. This is where I ask, "How are we doing? Are we hitting your concerns? Are we going too deep?" I do this especially when I know we are doing well. So I can confirm that we are doing well. It becomes "group think" after awhile, whereby they all like us.

I guess I am telling myself this, because I need to do this (presenting) MORE often. Find what you like to do and make it a career. Hmmmm . . .

2 comments:

Syd said...

Liking work is important. I give scientific presentations that are technical so the number of questions is usually a clue to how well that talk is received. I don't wear many suits.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I present for a living, also. I love it, because I can read the audience, and tell right away how I'm doing. I also get positive feedback in person, and in writing after class. It is this kind of direct and immediate feedback that I don't get in the rest of my life.

It is a way I can channel my people pleasing deisre into something constructive and useful.

Rob