Friday, February 20, 2009

Comparision - My Affirmations

In Al-Anon I get to sit and hear and think for an hour about the things I have read over and over again for years . . .

Prior to Al-Anon, I learned from Dr Robert Anthony that comparison is not a good thing. Competing with others, while it is the "American way," can be harmful if you (I) are continually looking at what others have or do compared to what you have or do.

"You will never be as good or bad on any given day or at any given moment as another person." That's my quote. It just came from me. From somewhere just now. But it makes sense. At least to me. Some days, I will suck. Other days, another person will suck. That's pretty basic.

Oh yeah. I read this somewhere. "Some days the dragon wins." Okay, I got it. Here's my affirmations regarding comparison.

Comparison

  1. I know it's easy to think that one can be happy only if you are right and someone else is wrong.
  2. I know for me to find my way, I must set myself beyond comparing myself to others.
  3. I know comparing myself to others and what they have, or do, makes me miserable.
  4. I know like the quote says; "The medals are always shinier on someone else's chest."
  5. I strive and achieve for situations where I can use my own assets to the fullest measure possible.
  6. I strive and achieve for situations in which my view of myself is not contingent on anybody else's view of me.
  7. I know I don't have to prove myself to anybody and this makes me feel great.
  8. I know comparison is a trap. Comparison feeds my ego as I am either better than or less than someone else.
  9. If I compare, I compare myself today and where I was yesterday. I look to see how much progress I have made over the past several days, weeks, and months.
  10. I replace comparing with gratitude - gratitude for what I have, what I have become, and what I can do from here. I am very fortunate. I am lucky and I am grateful.
  11. Today brings me another chance to call a "do over."
  12. No one holds me back. I replace a negative thought with a positive thought, knowing my mind can only carry one thought at a time. I dwell on that positive thought until the negative thought is diminished or has evaporated.

Hoping you are well.

1 comment:

Syd said...

I've had to smile about the comparison thing because yesterday I heard a couple of people say that they had more years than anyone else at a particular meeting. Ego sometimes puts itself front and center.