Sunday, July 20, 2008

Action Frees Us

Ultimately you define yourself by your actions and behavior - not what you say or read or hope. Self-demeaning thoughts or thoughts of egotism do not make us our ultimate selves. However, thoughts constructed toward a well-defined goal or outcome and actions laid out and taken to reach the direction of the goal are all-important.

Constructive thought and action resolves or at least -reduces - the conflict going on in our minds between what we wish to become - or perhaps a desire and fear. Thought -positive - and action toward something allows us to become more inspired - and motivated and live a life of confidence and happiness.

I read somewhere that happiness is a by-product of working toward a worthy ideal or goal. Notice the words - "by-product" and "toward." The happiness comes in the "doing" - not the actual achieving - to achieve something you want or wish or desire and of course the word "worthy" says a lot in terms of grace, peace and balance.

Working toward means accepting what and how we work with life and living life on life's terms. It means going with the flow of the universe and hoping that the speed bumps and hurts that occur along the way, will prepare us for a better future. It is in this - the faith in realizing - that while we cannot see what the future has in store for us - that knowing - that whatever we are getting from the universe - will make sense to us later.

How often have I said, "Well, if this didn't happen, I wouldn't have experienced this, or achieved this . . ." As I look back on life, I have a reason to be grateful even for the worst of circumstances, for I find myself in a better place than I was before the worst. Now, the worst was hell at times, let me assure you.

I am going to leave you with this great and awesome quote that a fellow blogger left here in the comments - and that I use throughout the day and in Al-Anon meetings . . .

From Winston Churchill, "If you're going through hell, keep going."

I love that quote. I hope it helps you today

No comments: